Zambian forest honey is unique, aromatic and richly flavoured. It’s harvested from wild bees in the untamed Miombo rainforests of Zambia, at the source of the Zambezi river. The region is home to one of the world’s highest densities of wild bee colonies, and cold pressed for a high pollen content.
This Fairtrade, 100% organic product is made by small-scale village beekeepers, who work with traditional bark hives, high up in the trees. It’s a setting that’s a world away from commercial farming and GMOs. Twice a year, farmers harvest a proportion of the honeycombs and take them out of the forest, in a system that has remained unchanged for hundreds of years.
This unpasteurised honey is also highly versatile. Use it as a natural, unprocessed sweetener – or enjoy it spread on your morning toast, in drinks or in the baking of cakes and biscuits. Alternatively, it can add depth to marinades.
Zambian honey is a gorgeous, flavour-packed food, with notes of treacle, dried fruits and whisky. You may find it tastes slightly less sweet than regular honey. It’s also smoky and aromatic.
Be aware that its consistency may vary according to the season of the year – it will be clearer and runny during warmer weather, but start to set or crystallise during cooler temperatures.
Feel the benefits of Zambian forest honey
- Zambian forest honey is a raw food, meaning minimal processing and filtering and no heat-treating. Essentially, its structure stays intact, and in the same state as when the bees produced it.
- Zambian honey is also an excellent sugar replacement, ideal if you’re keeping an eye on your weight. Its low Glycaemic Index (GI) helps reduce the speed at which blood glucose increases.
- This product is rich in bioflavanoids from tropical forest trees and plant species. These have long been used in alternative medicine as an antioxidant to treat inflammatory conditions such as osteoarthritis and support healthy blood circulation and a healthy heart while also boosting the action of Vitamin C.
- Zambian honey contains hydrogen peroxide, a known antiseptic, while its antifungal and antibacterial properties serve as a remedy for fighting infections.
- During beekeeping for this certified organic product, the farmers use no sugar feeding or antibiotics. The wild bees forage on the numerous nectar-producing species found in the local forest.
- Buying Zambian forest honey supports rural beekeepers and gives them a fair, consistent wage. Meanwhile, having more bees and hives pollinates the trees, ensuring the future of the forest.
- Some studies have found that eating raw honey may help alleviate seasonal allergies, while others have revealed that honey can help with treating wounds.
- In 2018, this product won the three-star Great Taste Award run by the Guild of Fine Food – the world’s biggest food accreditation scheme.
Organic Zambian forest honey from Ganesha Wholefoods
Our Wainwright’s Zambian forest honey has long been a popular choice with our customers, and it’s easy to see why. The owner of this business, David Wainwright, has been working with beekeepers in Zambia for four decades, with beekeeping practices essentially unchanged since 1983, although the increased number of hives in these rainforests now has boosted pollination of local trees.
Alternatively, order from our user-friendly online shop. Our sustainable wood pulp packaging is ideal for home composting, while free delivery is standard on orders worth £40 or more. Do also email us with any queries, or give us a call.